“We are always looking for ideas to make our lives easier and our home function better, and there are some great hacks out there that can help. (For the technologically and generationally challenged readers out there (like me), a “hack” isn’t just an old/stale politician. It’s new meaning: simple shortcuts to make your life easier.) We have made a top ten list for the New Year….
- Polka Dot Your Walls! We love this idea for a homemade stencil. All you need is an old plastic laundry basket and some tape. Adhere, paint, and VOILA! Polka Dot Walls!
- Shine Up Your Copper! Personally, we love the look of natural copper, but if you want to shine it up, there’s an easy fix – KETCHUP! Yep, your favorite condiment is also a great polish. Squirt it on, top it with salt, rub in, and then wipe clean. You can also use ketchup, or vinegar for that matter, to clean brass.
- Trap Hair! Clogged drains are a nuisance, and often they are just clogged up with hair and other items small enough to get scooched down the drain. Don’t call the plumber…just get yourself a plastic drain strainer/cover at your local hardware store. It captures hair and other debris and all you have to do is remove the gadget once a month and wipe it clean with a tissue.
- Organize Just About Anything! Who says shoe holders are just for shoes? This is great way to organized cleaning supplies, store small toys, or stuffed animals, or winter gloves and scarves in your hall coat closet.
- Create More Shoe Storage! If you don’t want to give up an inch of shoe storage, we can relate. You can turn a nook into a shoe closet and give yourself the added storage you need without giving up valuable space.
- Get Your Stainless Steel Appliances Clean! Give them a good, clean shine. All you need is a microfiber cloth (or any soft cloth) and some rubbing alcohol. Are you a super clean freak? You can use a few drops of olive oil.
- Repurpose Your Wine Rack! The thought of giving up a wine rack to use as a towel rack can be problematic, but the idea is to look beyond a typical use for any product to see it if can provide a solution womewhere else in your home (if it’s not already in good use.)
- Easy Glitter Cleanup! This comes in handy after your New Year’s party. Just use a ball of PlayDoh to p ick up all those little glitter pieces.
- Hang Art In A Cinch! When you have to hang something with exact holes, photocopy the back of the object and use as a template! Who would have thunk it?
- Polish Up Scratched Furniture And Floors! An easy way to improve the look of your wood items without having to buy expensive and/or toxic products: use a walnut (shelled, please)! Not only are they high in antioxidants; they can also extend the life of your worn wooden furniture. Got scratches in finished wood? Simply rub a nut along the grooves and watch them vanish before your eyes!
SOURCE: Jaymi Naciri for realtytimes.com IMAGE: notjustahousewife.net