“The Transylvania Farmers Market is unique among tailgate markets in the region — it stays open all year long outside in the same location. This means that vendors are out in the elements each Saturday. So weather determines whether all the vendors are able to make it to market each week.
Who and what might you find at the Transylvania Farmers Market?
Pitch Pine Organic Farm has a range of seasonal winter vegetables including roots and greens. Cherryfield Farm has beef and lamb; Calee’s Coops have chicken eggs and pork. Cosmo Farms has duck eggs, and Mountain Valley Meat has sorghum molasses among other products.
What about downtown Asheville this past week? If you have a sweet tooth, Asheville City Market was the place to be. Rebel Oven had pumpkin cakes and chocolate muffins, as well as other gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo treats. Sweetheart Bakery had an array of delicious baked goods, both made with wheat flours as well as a gluten-free.
Asheville area winter markets:
- Asheville City Market, 9am, – noon Saturdays in the Masonic Temple downtown.
- YMCA Winter Market, 9am – noon Saturdays in the parking lot of the Woodfin YMCA.
- YMCA South Market, 4-6:30 pm Wednesdays in the lobby of the Reuter Family YMCA in Biltmore Park Town Square.
Also consider exploring a market outsider of Asheville. Here are a few nearby to choose from:
- Black Mountain Winter Market, 11 am – 2pm Saturdays inside the heated pavilion at the intersection of Ridgeway and Sutton in downtown Black Mountain.
- Boone Winter Farmers Market, 9 am – noon, first and third Saturdays, Wautauga Ag Conference Center off King Street at 262 Poplar Grove Road.
- Columbus Winter Tailgate Market, 9 am – noon Saturdays at 322 E. Mills Street in Columbus.
- Franklin Farmers Winter Tailgate Market, 10am – noon Saturdays on the 200 block of E. Palmer Street in Franklin.
- Spruce Pine Indoor Winter Farmers Market, noon – 4pm on the first Saturday of the month in the Community Room of Spruce Pine Main Street at 167 Locust Street.
- Transylvania Farmers Market, 10 am – noon Saturdays 190 E. Main Street, Brevard (behind the Masonic Lodge).
Find a full list of 2018 winter markets throughout the region on our “Winter Farmers Markets” page, at asapconnections.org.
Area farmers tailgate markets take place throughout the region. As always, you can find information about farms, tailgate markets and farm stands, including locations and hours, by visiting ASAP’s online Local Food Guide at appalachiangrown.org.”
SOURCE: ASAP/Asheville Citizen-Times IMAGE: Pixabay – free