Goodbye TO Winter,
Hello TO Spring!….
can’t come anytime too soon! Old Man Winter has been brutal. Most of us experienced a much colder than normal winter and in many cases whiter too. If you are thinking about selling your home, a key element to bringing people into your home is CURB APPEAL!
Following are some tips to help you give your home an outer facelift:
1. Remove fallen debris and cut back last year’s growth. Go through your yard and remove any branches and twigs that may have fallen during the various winter storms. If you have perennials (i.e. daylilies) that require cutting back to allow the new year’s growth, do this as well. Nobody wants to look at “dead” flowers and shrubs.
2. Pick up trash. It’s amazing how trash can appear out of nowhere. Take a walk through your yard and pick up any debris that may have accumulated during the last few months.
3. Give your house a bath. If necessary, give your house a bath, meaning pressure wash your siding. Many homes will accumulate mold, mildew, and dirt over the years. If your house is looking a bit dingy, give it a bath; this can completely change the look of your home!
4. Touch up shutters and trim. The elements may have been hard on the painted areas of your home. If you have paint chipping or a color that isn’t appealing to buyers, freshen it up with a new coat.
5. Plant some flowers with a punch of color. Although everything isn’t in full bloom there are some flowers you can plant now to give your home an punch of color that will also stand up to another frost or two before we are officially into the full spring swing. Crocus, Pansies, Daffodils are very hardy and are available in colors that can give your home that extra boost of color to make it stand out among the rest.
6. Wash your windows and screen doors. Many of us forget how much clean windows can spruce up the look of a home. Take some time out to wash your windows both inside and out.
7. Spruce up your mailbox. If your mailbox is tired and old looking, buyers could be turned off. If it’s dirty, give it a quick washing. If it’s rusty or lacking paint, give it a good cleaning and a new paint job. If it’s in disrepair, consider replacing it altogether.
8. Get rid of clutter. Not only is it a good idea to pickup branches and trash…It’s also a good idea to remove unnecessary clutter from the yard (front back and sides). Not only will the clutter make your yard feel and look smaller, it may signal to the buyer that you are careless about your property and the possibility of the inside looking just as bad as the outside.
Most of the suggestions to give your home an outer facelift cost next to nothing to complete. Say good-bye to winter and hello to spring with a spruce up that will help turn the head of a prospective buyer in your direction.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would like some suggestions as to how to make your home more appealing to the buyer.